How environmentally conscious investors can find environmental investing opportunities
While the oil market is still strong, in recent years investors have seen a shift from oil-based energy to greener energy solutions. This is partly due to the fact that many investors are environmentally conscious and do not want their money to support the oil industry and other pollutive industries, but it is also in part due to the fact that there is money to be made in green energy.
Whether you want to add some environmental investing options to your portfolio to grow your wealth, help the environment or both, you should know where to start looking. Take a look below at some sectors you might want to include in your portfolio.
Examples of environmental investing opportunities
- Green energy — Green energy, such as solar, wind and geothermics, are rapidly growing industries that could prove to be as profitable for your portfolio as they are for the environment. There are several options in the green energy sector you can choose to include in your portfolio.
- Green transportation — Automobile manufacturers are striving to develop more electric vehicles due to the demand from environmentally conscious consumers and to the eventual limitation of oil as a resource for fuel. Tesla has been one of the leading companies on this front, but other manufacturers and fuel cell developers are making headway that could be worth your attention.
- Green food — Is food produced using sustainable, environmentally friendly and humane practices important to you? There are companies in this sector that you could include in your portfolio to help you grow your wealth while supporting an industry you believe in.
- Water — Clean water is something people will always need. Water investments can include companies that purify and distribute clean drinking water to people around the world.
- Pollution control — Some companies specialize in manufacturing technology that helps reduce pollution in power plants, vehicles and other sources of pollution. Investing in companies like these can help grow your portfolio while reducing the amount of pollution that gets put out into the environment.
You should investigate a company before investing to make sure its practices are in alignment with your views. If you want some help getting started finding an environmentally friendly company, you can take a look at some environmental, social and governance (ESG) lists, such as:
Talk to a ProVise CFP® professional about environmental investing
Your beliefs and values are an important part of your financial plan. If you want to grow your wealth knowing that your money is being used in an industry you believe in, you should work with a financial advisor who will strive to help you on this path.
At ProVise Management Group, our CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals can get to know you and your current financial circumstances, goals, risk tolerance and personal values to help you develop a plan that works for you. We can also create a written plan for you at a fiduciary standard of care. All our written plans come with an unconditional money-back guarantee. If you are unhappy with your written plan, you can return it to us, and we will refund 100% of the fee paid.
Are you ready to talk to a professional about environmental investing? Contact ProVise today to schedule a complimentary consultation.